Re: 2.6.21-rc1: framebuffer/console boot failure

From: Andrew Nelless
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 13:49:24 EST

On Mon, February 26, 2007 12:41 pm, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:

> I don't know, probably the ACPI code can now probably detect the
> presence or absence of the HPET timer.
>
> Can you remove CONFIG_FB_VESA support from your kernel config but boot
> as if you have vesafb (ie with vga=<VESA mode number>). Your machine may boot to completion but
> you will have a blank screen. But you should be able to have an output in netconsole and you
> can start X. I wanted to know if the lockup is related to the framebuffer.
>
> Tony

I disabled CONFIG_FB_VESA but it is still happening because
intermittent boots don't pump out anything over NetConsole.

It's tempting to think this is a hardware issue but I've been
booting 2.6.20 daily since -rc3 and this hasn't happened before
and still doesn't. I've even installed Asus's latest "beta bios"
(which convenient doesn't come with a changelog) but it had
no effect.

The only thing I can think to do now is another git bisect.
Now I know this occurs on average about every third boot I
could do half a dozen reboots between bisections and hopefully
find out what caused the problem..

Unfortunately I won't have the time for such a time consuming
adventure much the weekend..

Any further ideas?

-- Andrew

P.S. You mentioned HPET, is this HPET config normal?
andrew@ziggy ~ $ fgrep -i hpet /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-rc1/.config
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
# CONFIG_HPET is not set