Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 13:41:50 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:19:03AM -0800, Arjan van de Ven (arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:37 +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
>
> > I tend to agree.
> > Yes, some loads require event driven model, other can be done using
> > threads.
>
> event driven model is really complex though. For event driven to work
> well you basically can't tolerate blocking calls at all ...
> open() blocks on files. read() may block on metadata reads (say indirect
> blockgroups) not just on datareads etc etc. It gets really hairy really
> quick that way.

I never ever tried to say _everything_ must be driven by events.
IO must be driven, it is a must IMO.
Some (and a lot of) things can easily be programmed by threads.
Threads are essentially for those tasks which can not be easily
programmed with events.
But have in mind that fact, that thread execution _is_ an event itself,
its completion is an event.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov