Re: bug in kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1: conventional floppy drive cannotbe mounted without hanging up the whole system

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 12:47:54 EST

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Stephane Eranian wrote:

> The same code was used for i386 but I think for both architectures, the patch
> is missing default_idle(). I believe deault idle should look as follows:

Side note - I'll revert it regardless.

We can re-merge it later after

- it has been tested better

- people have added code to make all the expensive stuff go away if there
are no idle notifiers registered (ie "enter_idle" should NOT set the
idle-notify bit unconditionally in the idle loop, it should set if only
if there are people who care.

As it is, that patch was not only apparently buggy, but even if you fix
the actual bug, it's still broken from a performance angle.

Linus