Re: need some help on a backport of r8169

From: Boris B. Zhmurov
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 12:28:58 EST

Hello, Pascal GREGIS.

On 26.02.2007 19:08 you said the following:

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a big fight with a Realtek RTL8168 ethernet card
that I need to use with a 2.6.11.11 kernel.

Here is my problem : the RTL8168 (which seems to be the PIC-express
version of the RTL8169) isn't recognized by the 2.6.11.11 kernel. So
I tried the r1000 driver supplied by Realtek, which recognizes my
RTL8168 card but doesn't do what I want. In fact, it only supports
ethtool for speed control and always uses autonegotiation to force a
mode, which is also the behaviour of the r8169 driver but doesn't fit
my needs because some of my company's clients use network switches
that do not support autonegotiation.

I must precise that I previously succeeded to backport the support
for mii-tool in the r8169 driver from the 2.6.20 kernel to the
2.6.11.11, which allows me to effectively force the speed without
using autonegotiation. Ok, but that was for the RTL8169 card, already
supported in the 2.6.11.11 kernel, now I need to support a RTL8168
one.

So I tried a 2.6.20 kernel with this card and I saw that it was
supported by the r8169 driver. So I decided to backport some of this
driver to add the RTL8168 in it for the 2.6.11.11 kernel. I thought
it was easy and just required to add some references (pci id ...) but
sadly it isn't, and my patch results in a kernel panic when I turn
the interface up.

Could anyone take a look at my patch and tell me what is missing, or
what is wrong?

You, probably, should try to backport this patch:
http://www.fr.zoreil.com/linux/kernel/2.6.x/2.6.17-rc6/r8169/0005-r8169-sync-with-vendor-s-driver.txt

to your 2.6.11. Francois, please, correct me, if I'm wrong.

--
boris