Re: 2.6.21-rc1 dims my LCD

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 11:04:24 EST

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> Now regarding the patch - at the time when the dim happened previously,
> currently there is a observable blink (after which the brightness is
> correct). I have put some debugging printk() into fb_notifier_callback(),
> and it turns out that on FB_EVENT_CONBLANK, there are two successive calls
> to backlight_update_status(), second immediately following the first one:
>
> Feb 26 15:11:14 thunder kernel: calling backlight_update_status() with bd->props.fb_blank == 1, bd->props.brightness == 0
> Feb 26 15:11:14 thunder kernel: calling backlight_update_status() with bd->props.fb_blank == 0, bd->props.brightness == 0

This should cause *no* blink. It is setting brightness to zero anyway, which
is all ibm-acpi cares about (without a patch I will be sending in soon).
And ibm-acpi doesn't issue hardware calls that would not change the
brightness value.

If a brightness value query is causing blinks on your thinkpad, something is
very weird.

Maybe something else is also getting these events and processing them?

Henrique Holschuh