Re: 2.6.21-rc1 dims my LCD

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 10:37:37 EST

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > Richard, would you like a patch to -ENOSYS if a display power management
> > event reaches ibm-acpi?
>
> The ibm backlight driver should really try and work with the system a
> little more. Even if it can't turn the display off, the power attribute
> should minimise power usage as best it can. If that means just dimming
> the display, so be it. Ideally, I'd still prefer for it to gain support
> for turning the display off.

Well, the thinkpad firmware doesn't know how to turn the backlight off, or
doesn't export that AFAIK. It *can* do it in hardware (cuts power to the
inverter or somesuch in the lid switch, etc) but I know of no way to do it
using the firmware. If I ever find a way, I will certainly add it.

The video card *can* do it, but we are talking either intel fb or radeon fb
here, I'd need a way to communicate with them, or they should be getting the
same events and doing it anyway.

> In the update_status function, there are three sources of information
> you need to combine:
>
> bd->props.brightness
> bd->props.power
> bd->props.fb_blank
>
> Since the backlight class doesn't know the capabilities of the hardware,
> it is left to each implementation to combine these options in a way that
> makes sense. Currently ibm just looks at the first one but it could dim
> if the latter two are anything other than FB_BLANK_UNBLANK. See corgi_bl
> as an example (which also looks at its own variables too).

I will implement that, and as usual I will request your ACK since it deals
with your subsystem too.

Henrique Holschuh