Re: [PROBMEL] MD doesn't like /dev/disk/by-id

From: Patrick Ale
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 04:23:37 EST

On 2/26/07, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
ARRAY /dev/md1 UUID=xxxxx:xxxxx:Xxxxxx:xxxxx

and it should find the right devices and assemble them without
problems.

That's my point, this is the *only* way working at the moment when
using mdadm --assemble , since /dev/disk/by-id* tells me no suiteable
drives, /dev/sd? DOES work but isnt reliable since /dev/sdl is not
always /dev/sdl but can be /dev/sdc the next reboot :D

The only supported way to assemble arrays when md is a module is to
use mdadm. Mdadm has several ways to identify an array. Check the
man page.

I know, and i use mdadm. I used to use /dev/sd? since I did a simple
migration from raidtools to mdadm and this was the easiest way, then I
started to use libata which mangled my drive order every reboot, so I
got adviced to use /dev/disk/by-id/* , and now I am using UUID=some
128 bits hash here

Suggestions for specific improvements to the md and mdadm documentation
are always welcome. Read mdadm.8 again and then tell me what you
wanted it to tell you that wasn't clear.

Well, what I am kinda trying to say is: function that used to work
prior to 2.6.20 doesn't seem to be working anymore :D

mdadm -assemble doesn't work with /dev/disk/by-id/* is used.
And /dev/sd? is not useable due to the drive order not being the same
after every reboot, but this is more a libata/udev problem I guess.

I am in the train now, I will do the mdadm -v thingy as soon as I am
at a somewhat more stable connection than 2Mbit HDPSA

Patrick