Re: sparc64 / bbc_i2c.c

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 07:49:24 EST

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:27:12 +0000 "J.J. Green" <j.j.green@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I got bitten by this problem on sparc64 (a blade 1000)

> summary :
>
> modprobe bbc
>
> runs kenvctrld which uses 100% of a CPU for 5 seconds,
> then 0% for 5 seconds, then 100% .. and so on. The author
> cited above suggests removing the line
>
> remove_wait_queue(&bp->wq, &wait);
>
> in the function
>
> static int wait_for_pin(struct bbc_i2c_bus *bp, u8 *status)
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> I can test patches if that would be helpful.

The code around there looks relatively unbuggy to me. Removing that
remove_wait_queue() would be very bad - it would cause later stack
corruption.

msleep_interruptible() certainly shouldn't consume CPU like that. Do we
know where the CPU time is being spent? The output of:

readprofile -r
sleep 10
readprofile -n -v -m /boot/System.map | sort -n -k 3 | tail -40

would tell us.