Re: [patch 04/13] syslets: core code

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Sat Feb 24 2007 - 17:10:50 EST

On Feb 24, 2007, at 16:10:33, Davide Libenzi wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
the on/off calls are shaped in a way that makes them ultimately vsyscall-able - the kernel only needs to know about the fact that we are in a threadlet (so that the scheduler can do its special push-head-to-another-context thing) - and this can be signalled via a small user-space-side info structure as well, put into the TLS.

IMO it's not a matter of speed. We'll have those two new syscalls, that I don't see other practical use for. IMO the best thing would be to hide all inside the sys_threadlet_exec (or whatever name).

No, it absolutely is a matter of speed. The reason to have those two implemented that way is so that they can be implemented as vsyscalls completely in userspace. This means that on most modern platforms you can implement the "make a threadlet when I block" semantic without even touching kernel-mode. The way it's set up all you'd have to do is save some parameters, set up a new callstack, and poke a "1" into a memory address in the TLS. To stop, you effectively just poke a "0" into the spot in the TLS and either return or terminate the thread.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett