Re: [QUESTION] Sata RAID

From: Patrick Ale
Date: Sat Feb 24 2007 - 12:20:02 EST

On 2/24/07, Michael-Luke Jones <jonesml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But using 'fakeraid' (i.e. BIOS RAID) together with dmraid is
generally discouraged in favour of using the more stable and well
supported Linux Software RAID functionality.

Michael-Luke

I think I actually used dmraid, and the problem I had in those days
was that it was just a layer over your legacy IDE drivers.

With 2.4 you had "real" drivers whom created block devices if I recall
correctly which you could really treat as disks.

If dmraid still works as it did in the days I used it it's just a
layer, like LVM, and the kernel itself doesnt care at all for the
disks being in a RAID set or not and will access the disks
independently, this I really found a reason to not use dmraid and
stick with MD devices.

And by the reactions from you guys I guess those reasons still exist :)

So MD it is,

Thanks!

Patrick