Re: [RFC] New driver information

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 13:48:37 EST

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Heikki Orsila wrote:

> I just read
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/7729
>
> and it occured to me that it would be informative to have a new device
> driver macro. The motivation for the new macro would be 4 issues:
>
> * Is it possible to get specifications for the device?
> * If yes, under what terms? (nda, public)
> * Where to get public specs?
> * How many closed and open drivers in the Linux source tree?

This doesn't make any sense as a driver macro, because it's per device,
not per driver. E.g., the sdhci driver drives a number of devices,
including both well-documented devices and devices whose only
documentation is that the PCI ID matches (and they work with only a few
quirks).

On the other hand, a kconfig-readable table of PCI, USB, etc IDs with this
information isn't a bad idea, especially if the drivers actually depend on
it (so that it has to be kept up to date, at least as far as the
device/driver mapping).