Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

From: Alessandro Di Marco
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 21:52:22 EST

Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> writes:

Imagine for a moment that we solve time-warp somehow. Any other
problems?

Well, a user-level daemon have to process a lot of data just to detect user
interaction. Considering that the trackpad bandwidth is nearly 5KB/sec,
probably would be better to leave my panel alone... :-/

I'd really like to get "is user idle" solved, but it really should not be in
kernel unless it _has_ to. And time-warp probably causes problems not only
for your daemon.

IMHO signal the user-space is a kernel duty and no user-space daemon will ever
make it better. There are plenty of PM daemons out there, but Linux still lacks
of a decent power management. Thanks to SIN, acpid and a silly bash script I'm
able to save a lot of battery and furthermore, when my friends see the dimming
panel they break out: WOW, how do you succeed in running MacOS on your Vaio!?!
:-(

Best,

--
Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the
others. - Cicero