Re: kernel cmdline: root=/dev/sdb1,/dev/sda1 "fallback"?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 13:50:15 EST

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

I managed to compile a "Testing" 1.4.31 version (in fact, version 1.4 didn't compile because I didn't have a "linux" link pointing to kernel sources; version 1.4.31 tells that it's missing - so both versions compile fine).

At this point, 1.4.31 is probably what you should be using.

The problem is... I'm not sure how to start with it. The package doesn't have much documentation (other than "read the source"), does it?

On the other hand, I see it comes with a couple of useful tools, like sh (dash)... They are also pretty small, so everything should fit into 300 kB (dash=70kB, kinit=70kB, mount=12kB).

With kinit you don't even need dash/mount... kinit is a monolithic binary for everything.

In other words, you'd typically use *either* dash+mount, *or* kinit...

-hpa