Re: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives (k8 cpu errata needed?)

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 15:17:34 EST

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 19:01, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:26:05AM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> > >If one use iommu=soft the sata_nv will continue to use the new code
> > >for the ADMA, right?
> >
> > Right, that shouldn't affect it.
>
> right now i'm thinking if we can't figure out which cpu/bios
> combinations are safe we might almost be better off doing iommu=soft
> for *all* k8 stuff except for those that are whitelisted; though this
> seems extremely drastic
>
> it's not clear if this only affect nvidia based chipsets, the nature
> of the corruption makes me think it's not an iommu software bug (we
> see a few bytes not entire pages corrupted, it's not even clear if
> it's entire cachelines trashed) --- perhaps other vendors have more
> recent bios errata or maybe it's just that nvidia has sold a lot of
> these so they are more visible? (i'm assuming at this point it might
> be some kind of cpu errata that some bioses deal with because some
> mainboards don't ever seem to see this whilst others do)

FYI it seems that I was also hit by this bug with qlogic fc card + adaptec
taro raid controller on Thunder K8SRE S2891 mainboard with nvidia chipset on
it.

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/b8bdbde9721f7d35/45701994c95fe2cf?lnk=st&q=arkadiusz+fibre&rnum=8#45701994c95fe2cf

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz PLD/Linux Team