Re: data corruption with nvidia chipsets and IDE/SATA drives // memoryhole mapping related bug?!

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 18:06:00 EST

Sorry, as always I've forgot some things... *g*

Robert Hancock wrote:

> If this is related to some problem with using the GART IOMMU with memory
> hole remapping enabled
What is that GART thing exactly? Is this the hardware IOMMU? I've always
thought GART was something graphics card related,.. but if so,.. how
could this solve our problem (that seems to occur mainly on harddisks)?

> then 2.6.20-rc kernels may avoid this problem on
> nForce4 CK804/MCP04 chipsets as far as transfers to/from the SATA
> controller are concerned
Does this mean that PATA is no related? The corruption appears on PATA
disks to, so why should it only solve the issue at SATA disks? Sounds a
bit strange to me?

> as the sata_nv driver now supports 64-bit DMA
> on these chipsets and so no longer requires the IOMMU.

Can you explain this a little bit more please? Is this a drawback (like
a performance decrease)? Like under Windows where they never use the
hardware iommu but always do it via software?

Best wishes,
Chris.
begin:vcard
fn:Mitterer, Christoph Anton