Re: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space error treating and VIDEO1394 IOC LISTEN CHANNEL ioctl failed problem

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 13:20:41 EST

> I've used vmalloc in the past, and not had a problem, but it is a fair
> question, how do you find out how much space is available? Other than a
> binary vmalloc/release loop.

that's a really hard question since it's dynamic;
I suppose a good rule of thumb is "never expect more than 16Mb to work"
(when I said "64Mb" that was for the kernel as a whole, and there's
other users than just "you" :)

if you need that much you probably should redesign your algorithms to
not need vmalloc in the first place....

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org