Re: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space error treating andVIDEO1394 IOC LISTEN CHANNEL ioctl failed problem

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 14:29:31 EST

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 20:19 +0100, Stefan Richter wrote:
> On 10 Jan, Peter Antoniac wrote:
> [...]
> > Problem is: how to get the VMALLOC_RESERVED value for the kernel that is
> > running? I couldn't find any standard way to do that (something to apply to
> > GNU Linux and the like). All the things I could get were the default value
> > being 128MiB :) and that is it. Now, I could just put 128, but what if
> > somebody changes that, or in some new distro suddenly decides to make it
> > different? Even worse, what if it is an old kernel with 64 setting?
> [...]
>
> Maybe somebody at LKML has answers?

vmalloc space is limited; you really can't assume you can get any more
than 64Mb or so (and even then it's thight on some systems already); it
really sounds like vmalloc space isn't the right solution for your
problem whatever it is (context is lost in the quoted mail)...
can you restate the problem to see if there's a better solution
possible?

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven
--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org