[announce] ipwireless_cs 3G PCMCIA network driver

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 10:43:29 EST

Hi,

there was some discussion some time ago on lkml about the driver for the
ipwireless 3G UMTS (in some countries, such as Czech Republic, this is
shipped under the name "4G UMTS") PCMCIA card [1]

I have taken the old driver written by guys at Symmetric Systems and
ported it to the current kernel, modified a code layout a bit, removed
some dead code, etc. I have established a git tree [2] for this driver, as
it needs considerable amount of work the be acceptable to mainline (not
only due to functionality problems with V3 (see below), but also
CodingStyle, migrating the driver to use in-kernel linked lists, etc etc)
and testing by other people owning the hardware will also help.

There is a little confusion regarding the hardware - there used to be V1
and V2 cards (which require some little differences in handling). With
these card types, the driver seems to work well. Then ipwireless company
produced version V3 of the card. (sadly, IDs of the card didn't change,
only firmware seems to be modified). This is for example the card that
T-Mobile is currently shipping by default for the 4G UMTS service (or at
least in Czech Republic).

This card is correctly detected by this driver, is able to send and
receive AT commands, dial and connect, but after the ppp connection is
established, the LCP frames that the card is passing to the driver are
broken (one byte per frame). We are currently trying, together with
authors of original driver, to identify an exact cause of this behavior
(seems like PPP framer on the card is somehow misconfigured or
unitialized).

Any testers are welcome. Thanks.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/16/31
[2] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/ipwireless_cs.git,
ipw-devel branch

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs