Re: Choosing a HyperThreading/SMP/MultiCore kernel ?

From: Sunil Naidu
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 18:21:30 EST

On 1/12/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would expect any distribution should work on these (as long as the
kernel they use isn't too old.). Of course if it is a Mac, you need a
distribution that supports their firmware (which is of course not a PC
bios). As long as you can boot it, any i386 or amd64 kernel with smp
enabled should use all the processors present (well amd64 on the
core2duo and on the p4 if it is em64t enabled).

It is not a Mac here, IBM Workstation. I can see the Processor as
Pentium 4 CPU 3. GHz (family 15, model 4). How to know EM64T enabled,
any command?

Trying to understand, should I set CPUSETS=y and SCHED_MC=y Or ignore them.

I believe the closest optimization for a Core2 is probably the Pentium M
(certainly not the P4/netburst). Not entirely sure though.

Yep, this ia a MacBookPro. I have decided about the distro. I did ask
this doubt when I got for the custom kernel compilation from source
after installation.

What I have seen in KConfig is, MPENTIUM4 used for the Xeon processor
too. I would try this soon on my Laptop (with SMP since it's a
Core2Duo). Anyway, shall post here.

--
Len Sorensen

Thanks,