Re: kvm & dyntick

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 00:35:28 EST

Avi Kivity wrote:

dyntick-enabled guest:
- reduce the load on the host when the guest is idling
(currently an idle guest consumes a few percent cpu)

You do not need dynticks for this actually. Simple no-tick-on-idle
like Xen has works well enough.

While you're modifying the timer code, you might also want to add
proper accounting for steal time. Time during which your guest
had a runnable process, but was not actually running itself, should
not be accounted against the currently running process.

I wonder if it would be possible to simply copy some of the timer
code from Xen. They have the timing quirks worked out very well
and their timer_interrupt() is pretty nice code.

(Now I need to buy myself another VT box so I can help out with KVM :))

http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/ParavirtBenefits has some other features
you may want to have :)))

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group