Re: [E1000-devel] e1000 : link down issues

From: Auke Kok
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 12:17:30 EST

castet.matthieu@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I got a 82566DM e1000 network controller [1] on my motherboard, and most of the
time the link go down when doing dhcp. [2]

ifconfig eth0 up -> link become up
dhclient eth0 -> some packet are transmited and received and the link become
down.

I'm unsure whether we saw this problem before or not but it does sound familiar. First I would like to ask you to check your motherboards vendor website for a possible BIOS update for your motherboard. The 82566DM chipsets are rather new and we have pushed out NVM changes to vendors for some known issues.

I sometimes got e1000_reset: Hardware Error.

This happen with vanilla 2.6.19 and e1000-7.3.20 drivers.

This is very anoying because I should do rmmod e1000; modprobe e1000; ifup e1000
in loop until the link stay up. I try forcing speed, duplex and flow control, but
> nothing solve my issue.

The device is working fine on windows.

unfortunately that doesn't say that much. I do know that we are queueing some ich8/82566 changes for the kernel and if you're willing to try them I can provide patch to the kernel netdev tree to you (it was posted here 3 days ago) to try.

Cheers,

Auke

PS feel free to trim lkml from the CC to move this discussion further to e1000-devel list only.