Re: [kvm-devel] [RFC] Stable kvm userspace interface

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 03:32:43 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 14:47, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Can we please avoid adding a ton of new ioctls? ioctls inevitably require 64-bit compat code for certain architectures, whereas sysfs/procfs does not.

For performance reasons, an ascii string based interface is not
desireable here, some of these calls should be optimized to
the point of counting cycles.

sysfs does not require ASCII...

The main kvm ioctl switches the execution mode to guest mode. Just like a syscall enters kernel mode, ioctl(vcpu_fd, KVM_VCPU_RUN) enters the guest address space and begins executing guest code.

I don't see how to model that with sysfs.

There are other objections as well. sysfs is a public interface, whereas kvm is a process private attribute. These objections don't apply to /proc though.