Re: DMA problems in ide-scsi

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 21:01:16 EST

Hi,

On 1/11/07, meaty biscuit <meatybiscuit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I know there are lots of people that are glad to be done with
ide-scsi, but I'm hoping there is someone out there that has some
experience with this driver that my be able to help. I would happily
switch modules and start using ide-cd, but I have a few pieces of
software that rely on ide-scsi to work properly and I don't have
enough time to change my software to work with ide-cd before my
product release deadline.

I am working with a mainline kernel, version 2.6.15.7 (I cannot change
kernel versions either). If DMA is enabled and I try to write to a
CD, I get a kernel panic. However, reading from a CD with DMA enabled
works fine. If DMA is disabled and programmed IO is used, I can both
read and write CDs but the fact that PIO uses so much of the CPU
causes my application to have some problems and again, I don't have
time to go through several application release cycles to make them
work with PIO.

I have noticed that writing to CD (with DMA enabled) in 2.6.9 works
fine, it seems as though the breakage of ide-scsi occured in 2.6.10.
Also, burning a CD using DMA with ide-scsi in 2.6.19 seems to work as

If it works fine in the current kernels it seems like the problem
is not kernel bug but the fact that you are stuck on 2.6.15.7.

well. I have looked through the ide-scsi code for hours, and I have
also done a fair amount of debugging looking for the problem but I
have had no success. I tried contacting Bartlomiej and have been
unsuccessful in getting a hold of him. Does anyone know of a patch

I've just read your mail from Jan 4 (was on TODO).
[ sorry but ide-scsi problems are (very) low priority ]

floating around that may fix this problem? Does anyone that is more
familiar with the ide, scsi, or dma subsystems have any suggestions
for me? I am willing to put in the time and effort to fix this
problem and I would be more than happy to submit a fix back into the
open source world, but I am stuck and need any help I can get.

If you send me the log/photo of the kernel panic I might be able to help you.

Bart