Re: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flashIDE chip under 2.6.18

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 13:19:59 EST

Prakash Punnoor wrote:
Am Mittwoch 10 Januar 2007 18:47 schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:28PM +0100, Prakash Punnoor wrote:
You can install the Intel Matrix driver after "adjusting" the inf file...
Hmm, I guess a good question is: Why should I have to edit the inf file?
Is it an issue of them making it only install if your hardware is
already set to ahci mode? But how am I supposed to boot and install the
driver until I have the driver installed then. Well I might try that
next time I go there. How stupid of intel.

Intel wants you to buy hw with ICH8R. ICH8 isn't get the advanced features for free....

What advanced features do you claim are missing from ICH8?

The 'R' indicates software RAID, provided by BIOS and a software driver. Which uses the standard AHCI programming interface. ICH8 provides AHCI, just like ICH8R does.

Jeff