Re: .version keeps being updated

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 11:54:42 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:21:51 -0800 (PST)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
This new behavior of the kernel build system is likely to
make developers angry pretty quickly.
That might motivate them to fix it ;)
Actually, how about just removing the incrementing version count entirely?

I use it pretty commonly to answer the question "did I remember to install
that new kernel I just built before I rebooted"? By comparing `uname -a'
with $TOPDIR/.version.

Yup, we need to do the same thing in automated testing. Especially when
you're doing lilo -R, and don't know if you ended up fscking or panicing
during attempted reboot to new kernel.

Better would be a checksum of the vmlinux vs the running kernel text,
but that seems to be impossible due to code rewriting. Could we embed
a checksum in a little /proc file for this?

M.