Re: [take32 0/10] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 06:12:10 EST

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
Generic event handling mechanism.

Kevent is a generic subsytem which allows to handle event notifications.
It supports both level and edge triggered events. It is similar to
poll/epoll in some cases, but it is more scalable, it is faster and
allows to work with essentially eny kind of events.

Events are provided into kernel through control syscall and can be read
back through ring buffer or using usual syscalls.
Kevent update (i.e. readiness switching) happens directly from internals
of the appropriate state machine of the underlying subsytem (like
network, filesystem, timer or any other).

Homepage:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=kevent

Documentation page:
http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Kevent

Consider for inclusion.

With this release I start 3 days resending timeout - i.e. each third day I will send either new version (if something new was requested and agreed to be implemented) or resending with back counter started from three. When back counter hits zero after three resendings I consider there is no interest in subsystem and I will stop further sending.

I really doubt it is a good way to tell the world about my work, and I bet you all tired from those pathos words, but I really would like to get some feedback,
since I want to start to work on network AIO, but sending mails into unfeedbackable 'destination' really does not motivate me for that.

Thanks for understanding and your time.

Once the rate of change slows, Andrew should IMO definitely pick this up.

If you wanted to make this process automatic, create a git branch that Andrew and others can pull.

I like the direction so far, and think it should be in -mm for wider testing and review.

Jeff