Re: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flash IDE chip under 2.6.18

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 17:59:59 EST

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> I just finished pulling out a melted IDE flash drive out of a Shuttle
> motherboard with the intel 945 chipset which claims to support
> SATA and IDE drives concurrently under Linux 2.6.18.
>
> The chip worked for about 30 seconds before liquifying in the chassis.
> I note that the 945 chipset in the shuttle PC had some serious
> issues recognizing 2 x SATA devices and a IDE device concurrently. Are
> there known problems with the Linux drivers
> with these newer chipsets.

Had the drive ever been used in any other machine? Had any ide device
ever been used in this machine before? It really sounds like a hardware
problem, since I can't think of anything software could do to make that
kind of current go through the flash drive.

I remember seeing the controller chip on a 730MB quantum scsi drive
start to glow red many years ago, just before the drive stopped
responding to the system (and I turned off the power). Hardware does
fail. It almost never has anything to do with software.

--
Len Sorensen