Re: Jumping into Kernel development: About -rc kernels...

From: Horst H. von Brand
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 11:23:41 EST

Akula2 <akula2.shark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This question might sound dumb for many, and to some annoying too ;-)

It's OK if you don't do it too often ;-)

[...]

> I did understand till here. Should I start compile/test/debug
> one-after-one in this fashion:-
>
> 2.6.19 source + patch-2.6.20-rc1
> 2.6.19 source + patch-2.6.20-rc2
> 2.6.19 source + patch-2.6.20-rc3
> 2.6.19 source + patch-2.6.20-rc4
>
> OR
>
> Pick the latest release number?

Pick the latest, it has bugs in earlier ones fixed. But it might have its
own ;-)

BTW, you can track the day-to-day development of the kernel (and other
stuff) using git, which has other nifty features (like being able to go
back to an earlier version, and even automate the finding of the broken
patch by narrowing down from a known good and a known bad version).

git is probably in your distribution, or you can get it (as source, or
prebuilt) from <http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git>, a bunch of
documentation is in the package itself or at <http://www.git.or.cz>.
<http://www.kernel.org> gives pointers to several git kernel repositories.

Good luck!