Strange ethN numbering problem.

From: John Clark
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 19:31:32 EST

On a system which has one Intel Ethernet 1 Gb interface, and 4 'Marvel', interfaces,
during kernel initialization the interfaces indicate they have 'normal' ethernet ethN names,
ie, eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3, eth4, eth5 are reported from the 'dmesg' output.

However, when the system comes up and attempt to do an ifconfig, the 'ethN' numbers
have changed to a some what intermengled seriese starting with eth6... eth10.

I have never seen this sort of problem before, and so I have no clue what is causing
the later changes in the numbering scheme.

Does anyone have any idea where to look.

Thanks
John Clark