Re: Gaming Interface

From: l . genoni
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 10:13:09 EST

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Dirk wrote:

Alright. I came to discuss an idea I had because I realized that installing Windows and running Linux in VMware is the only _fun_ way to play "real" Games and have Linux at the same time.

And everyone who says I'm a troll doesn't like Games or simple things.

Dirk

Please, don't think so. The point is simpler. Linux has its own standard, which is a Unix one, openGL on X11 and then SDL. There is a kernel component to get 3d acceleration with openGL, which is DRM.
This standard is nice, and openGL is available also on windows, where doom3, quake4 and the like use it happily.
There is no point to introduce something different and to change this standard.

Luigi