IDE discovered as SATA - 2.6.20-rc4

From: Dimitar G. Katerinski
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 09:15:15 EST

Hi,

Sorry if I'm duplicating the issue, but I've searched the list and didn't find
a similar report. I've just compiled 2.6.20-rc4 and I have trouble booting.
After some investigation, I find out that my IDE chipset is being discovered
as SATA, so my hard drive is not /dev/hda, but /dev/sda. When I passed the
correct root=/dev/sdaX option to the kernel, it booted fine and everything
seems to be working. But it puzzles me why, this motherboard doesn't even
have a SATA chipset. Is this abug or a new feature? :) My IDE chipset is:

00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)

Regards,
DImitar G. Katerinski
--
http://tropot.net/photoblog/ - my life. in pictures.