Re: x86 instability with 2.6.1{8,9}

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 09:27:01 EST

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:04:59PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 19:34:59 +0000 Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 01:42:32PM -0500, Len Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > You might remove and re-insert the DIMMS.
> > > Sometimes there are poor contacts if the DIMMS are not fully seated and clicked in.
> > >
> > > The real mystery is the 32 vs 64-bit thing.
> > > Are the devices configured the same way -- ie are they both in IOAPIC mode
> > > and /proc/interrupts looks the same for both modes?
> > >
> > > -Len
> >
> > Too late, I've started memtest-86+. If it seems ok after an
> > overnight run, I'll take a look at /proc/interrupts. How can I tell
> > it is in IOAPIC mode, please ? Google was not helpful for this, but
> > if it's an override, the only things on my command lines are root=
> > and video= settings.
>
> (did anyone ever answer this?)
>
> In IO-APIC mode, /proc/interrupts contains entries like these:
>
> CPU0 CPU1
> 0: 121218123 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 715259 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 6: 5 0 IO-APIC-edge floppy
> 7: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
> 9: 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 12: 10011272 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 11561548 0 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 66: 4525183 0 PCI-MSI libata
> 74: 1711 0 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb6
> 82: 4 0 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb4, ohci_hcd:usb5
> 98: 101326 0 PCI-MSI HDA Intel
> 106: 17747181 0 PCI-MSI eth0
> 169: 0 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb9
> 177: 3 0 IO-APIC-level ohci1394
> 185: 15 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb8, aic79xx
> 193: 427962 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb7, aic79xx
>
> If not in IO-APIC mode, lots of those will say "XT-PIC" instead
> of IO-APIC.
>
> > Certainly, it seems likely that the configs could be fairly
> > different in their detail.

I eventually found it ("Local APIC support on uniprocessors") in
menuconfig. In the meantime, I'd moved my 32-bit activity to a
different box (also athlon64, but a bit faster) and I had one oops
on that. At least, I assume it was an oops - the caps and scroll
LEDs flashed, but I couldn't do anything with MagicSysrq, not even
force a reboot. Ran diff on the various configs, changed to IO-APIC
plus an unrelated change to use libata for the cdrom. The faster box
_seems_ stable (used for a couple of hours, and then for a whole day)
so I'm back on the original problem machine.

Last night I reconfigured the kernel (select X86_UP_APIC, deselect
ACPI_VIDEO [ had been a module ], select ACPI_DEBUG, select PCI_MSI
(had been on in my 64-bit configs), removed some ATA/ATAPI drivers I
didn't need). I was running on the 'old' 2.6.19.1 while I built it,
and again got the flashing LEDs after the build, but nothing logged
although I was able to force a reboot with SysRq b.

I guess that when it does have problems, it is mostly within 30
minutes of booting - otherwise, it can be up all day. So, for the
moment I'm hopeful that changing the config will help, but it will
be several days before I feel at all confident.

Ken