Re: How git affects kernel.org performance

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 03:59:51 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:

At work, we had the same problem on a file server with ext3. We use rsync
to make backups to a local IDE disk, and we noticed that getdents() took
about the same time as Peter reports (0.2 to 2 seconds), especially in
maildir directories. We tried many things to fix it with no result,
including enabling dirindexes. Finally, we made a full backup, and switched
over to XFS and the problem totally disappeared. So it seems that the
filesystem matters a lot here when there are lots of entries in a
directory, and that ext3 is not suitable for usages with thousands
of entries in directories with millions of files on disk. I'm not
certain it would be that easy to try other filesystems on kernel.org
though :-/

Changing filesystems would mean about a week of downtime for a server. It's painful, but it's doable; however, if we get a traffic spike during that time it'll hurt like hell.

However, if there is credible reasons to believe XFS will help, I'd be inclined to try it out.

-hpa