Re: [DISCUSS] Making system calls more portable.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 03:26:55 EST

On 01/07/2007 09:15 AM, Amit Choudhary wrote:

Well, system calls today are not portable mainly because they are
invoked using a number and it may happen that a number 'N' may refer
to systemcall_1() on one system/kernel and to systemcall_2() on
another system/kernel.

If we're limited to Linux kernels, this seems to not be the case. Great care is taken in keeping this userspace ABI stable -- new system calls are given new numbers. Old system calls may disappear (after a long grace period) but even then I don't believe the number is ever recycled.

If your discussion is not limited to Linux kernels, then sure, but being portable at that (sub-libc) level is asking too much.

I hope that I made some sense.

Some, but your supposition seems unclear.

Rene