Re: kernel + gcc 4.1 = several problems

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 00:26:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
(That said, I think __builtin_memcpy() does a reasonable job these days with gcc, and we might drop the crap one day when we can trust the compiler to do ok. It didn't use to, and we continued using our ridiculous macro/__builtin_constant_p misuses just because it works with _all_ relevant gcc versions).

Yep, a ton of work by Roger Sayle, among others, really matured the gcc str*/mem* builtins in the 4.x series. They are definitely worth another look.

Jeff