Re: JMicron JMB363 SATA hard disk appears twice (sda + hdg)

From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 17:28:36 EST

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 19:35:41 +0000, Alan wrote:

> The kernel drivers work on the basis that if you are using drivers/ide
> then the IDE driver will grab all the ports, if you are using libata then
> the PCI boot quirks will switch to split AHCI and PATA mode and the
> libata drivers will take both.
>
> If you build both IDE and libata support for the same hardware into your
> kernel it should generally end up with only one driver claiming the
> hardware but the AHCI case doesn't handle this in 2.6.18.

[and in another post:]

> You have both the drivers for the Jmicron via drivers/ide and via
> drivers/ata (libata) loaded. In that specific combination the two drivers
> don't use the same resources so don't spot the other one is busy.

Thanks for the explanation. I had suspected such an interaction,
especially since browsing the LKML it seems that this doubling of the
interfaces with the JMicron controllers is an intentional change:
<URL:http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/12/133>.

So the only problem is how to tell the kernel to not use ide on the
SATA channels, and this is what I had tried to do with ide2=noprobe
ide3=noprobe. However, this doesn't seem to happen. Am I
misinterpreting the meaning of the idex=noprobe parameter?

BTW, is there a preference for libata or the jmicron ide driver?
Assuming I finally manage to only make it appear once, which one
should I go for?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"I weep for our generation" -- Charlie Brown