Re: [nfsv4] RE: Finding hardlinks

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 11:57:16 EST

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:40 -0600, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> What I don't understand is why getting the fileid is so hard -- always
> GETATTR when you GETFH and you'll be fine. I'm guessing that's not as
> difficult as it is to maintain a hash table of fileids.

You've been sleeping in class. We always try to get the fileid together
with the GETFH. The irritating bit is having to redo a GETATTR using the
old filehandle in order to figure out if the 2 filehandles refer to the
same file. Unlike filehandles, fileids can be reused.

Then there is the point of dealing with that servers can (and do!)
actually lie to you.

Trond