Re: kernel + gcc 4.1 = several problems

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 11:06:35 EST

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> This didn't help. After about 14 hours, the machine crashed again.
>
> cmov is not the culprit.

Ok. Have you ever tried to limit the drivers you have loaded? I notice you
had the prism54 wireless thing in your modules list and the vt1211 hw
monitoring thing. I'm wondering about the vt1211 thing - it probably isn't
too common. But if you can use that machine without the wireless too, it
might be good to try without either.

(The rest of your module list looked bog-standard, so if it's not
hardware-specific, I don't think it's there)

Turning of the VIA sound driver just in case would be good too.

The reason I mention vt1211 in particular is that it does things like
regulate fan activity etc. Is the problem perhaps heat-related?

Linus