Re: Contents of core dumps

From: David Miller
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 23:58:21 EST

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:02:28 -0500

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:18:07PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> > How about something like the following patch? If it's executable
> > and not written to, skip it. This would skip the main executable
> > image and all text segments of the shared libraries mapped in.
>
> I've been going through GDB test failures (... again...) and I'm down
> to a respectably small number on x86_64, but this is one of the
> remaining ones. I don't suppose there's been any change since we
> discussed this in April?

Not to my knowledge.

> Does Linux need knobs for this?

I don't think so.

The current behavior is very non-intuitive.

As a person who hacks gdb, the kernel, and the interactions between
them extensively, it took even me quite a while to track down this
problem.

Imagine some less skilled person trying to analyze a core dump
expecting the necessary information to be there and being unable
to figure out why?

So I'd say we should just put this change in, as-is. It fixes bugs,
and in all the time that has passed since my initial posting there
has not been any serious dissent.