mount --bind and /proc/mounts

From: Mark Hlawatschek
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 09:19:54 EST

Hi,

I'm using a shared root environment and therefore linked /etc/mtab
to /proc/mounts. In addition I'm using --bind mount to make administration
easier.

Now I found the following behaviour:
# mount -a
is mounting all filesystems with bind options in the fstab
everytime the command "mount -a " is executed.

That works fine using an /etc/mtab file, but fails for --bind mounts
using /etc/mtab linked to /proc/mounts.

I think this is because /etc/mtab has information about the source directory
and /proc/mounts shows the device, hosting the filesystem.

e.g.
# mount --bind /tmp/bmount/ /mnt/bmount/
# cat /etc/mtab
(...) /tmp/bmount /mnt/bmount none rw,bind 0 0
# cat /proc/mounts
(...) /dev/root /mnt/bmount ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0

Is there a solution for this ?

Thanks,

Mark