Re: my handy-dandy, "coding style" script

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 20:25:35 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
just for fun, i threw the following together to peruse the tree (or
any subdirectory) and look for stuff that violates the CodingStyle
guide. clearly, it's far from complete and very ad hoc, but it's
amusing. extra searches happily accepted.
I had a bunch of similar greps that I've recently been half-assedly
putting together into a single script too.
See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/findbugs/
I don't know if anyone cares about them anymore, since I think gcc
grew some smarts in the area recently, but there are a lot of lines of
code matching "static int.*= *0;" and equivalents in the driver tree.

I'd really like to see the C compiler being enhanced to detect
"stupid casts", i.e. those, which when removed, do not change (a) the outcome
(b) the compiler warnings/error output.

If you made it issue warnings for that, then it's going to be ever more painful to write generic macros.

-hpa