Re: x86 instability with 2.6.1{8,9}

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 14:48:00 EST

On Monday 01 January 2007 19:13, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 05:07:58PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 04:48:55PM +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > > Obviously papering over a severe bug, but why is it necessary for you
> > > to run a 32bit kernel to test 32bit userspace? If your 64bit kernel is
> > > stable, use the IA32 emulation surely?
> >
> > My 64-bit is pure64 on this machine, so it doesn't have any
> > suitable libs or tools. Anyway, I really do need a 32-bit kernel
> > to test some linuxfromscratch build instructions.
>
> Sorry, I think last night is still interfering with my own logic
> circuits. Yes, I could use 'linux32' to change the personality as a
> work-around now that I've built the system. Mainly, I was hoping
> somebody would notice something bad in the config, but I might use
> the work-around in the meantime. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Personally when I built an embedded LFS for a customer, I wrote a dummy "arch"
and "uname" and then bootstrapped the 32bit LFS book, then built a cross
compiler with the CLFS book and built a 64bit kernel. Seemed to work okay.

However, there isn't 100% compatibility in a 64bit kernel for all syscalls, I
think one of the VFAT syscall wrappers is currently broken.

[ 5807.639755] ioctl32(war3.exe:4998): Unknown cmd fd(9) cmd(82187201){02}
arg(00221000) on /home/alistair/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Warcraft III

Other than that, I've had no problem with running a purely 32bit userspace.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.