Re: replace "memset(...,0,PAGE_SIZE)" calls with "clear_page()"?

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 12:23:56 EST

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:42:31 +0900 Paul Mundt wrote:

> > Maybe these optimalisations should be in the coding style docs?
> >
> For what purpose? CodingStyle is not about documenting usage constraints
> for every minor part of the kernel. If someone intends to use an API,
> it's up to them to figure out the semantics for doing so. Let's not
> confuse common sense with style.
> -

I agree, these aren't CodingStyle material. They could make sense
in some other doc, either MM/VM-related or more general.

I've often wanted a somewhat introductory doc about Linux environmental
assumptions (memory model, pointers/longs, data cleared to 0,
many other items that I don't have on my fingertips).

---
~Randy