Re: [RFC] char: Add MFGPT driver for the CS5535/CS5536

From: Alan
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 17:11:55 EST

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:57:36 -0700
"Jordan Crouse" <jordan.crouse@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Geode CS5535 and CS5536 companion chips contain a block of timers
> known as the Multi Function General Purpose Timers. The primary use
> for these timers is to control an output pin nominally connected to a
> LED or other visual indicator. They also can be configured to reset the
> system, which is handy as a watchdog timer. they _can_ be used to
> fire software interrupts on timeout too, but this is less useful since the
> timers are fairly low resolution and there are much better options available.
>
> The attached driver provides a low-level interface to the block, and
> allows for other kernel drivers to use the timers.

Three comments

1. Use inlines not defines when you can - it means we get type
checking
2. There is an RTC timer interface - could you use that interface
for some of this so its compatible and consistent ?
3. Ditto for a watchdog use - although that would be a separate
driver using the kernel hooks anyway.

Kernel side looks fairly sane