Re: 2.6.19-rc3 system freezes when ripping with cdparanoia at ioctl(SG_IO)

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 05:47:33 EST

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 12:08:15PM -0800, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> P.S. I'd love to see SG_DXFER_TO_FROM_DEV completely ripped out
> of sg.c, for obvious reasons. Can you not duplicate the resid "fix"
> it provides into "FROM_DEV" -- do apps really rely on it?

At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned cdparanio uses it.
But in general we can't just rip out userland interfaces, we pretend
to have a stable userspace abi (and except for the big sysfs mess that
actually comes very close to the truth).

What we should do is to document very well what SG_DXFER_TO_FROM_DEV
is doing and that odd name that's been chosen for it. I'll prepare
a patch for that.