Re: [discuss] Re: 2.6.19-rc4: known unfixed regressions (v3)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 12:52:51 EST

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > Anyway, I do not consider this a regression. MMCONFIG has _never_ worked
> > reliably. It has always been a case of "we can make it work on some
> > machines by making it break on others".
>
> It is a serious regression:
>
> The problem is that with the default CONFIG_PCI_GOANY, MMCONFIG is the
> _first_ method tried.

No. That was a bug at some point, but it's not that way now. See

pci_access_init(void)

which checks the pci_direct_probe() first, and only _then_ calls
pci_mmcfg_init(). And pci_mmcfg_init() will refuse to even use MMCONFIG
unless either the direct probe failed _or_ the MMCONFIG area is marked
entirely reserved in the e820 tables. Exactly because MMCONFIG generally
doesn't _work_.

Now, if that is indeed broken, then yes, we need to fix it.

Jeff - when you enable "direct PCI access", what is the printout? You
should get

PCI: Using configuration type 1

and the kernel should never have used MMCONFIG if the area wasn't marked
as reserved in e820..

Linus