Problems with mounting filesystems from /dev/hdb (kernel 2.6.18.1)

From: Jano
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 10:37:23 EST

Hi everyone,

Recently I've downloaded and compiled kernel 2.6.18.1. After installing
modules and kernel and updating Grub I rebooted my box and tried to
launch new kernel. Everything was launching nicely, but while loading
GDM the screen went black and I was unable to switch console (using
ctrl+alt+Fn). I've rebooted using single user mode and logged in as
root. What I've discovered is the fact that I cannot mount any
filesystem from /dev/hdb. All filesystems from /dev/hda work as they
ought to, but when I try to mount something from the second hard disk I
get:

# mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /home
/dev/hdb1 already mounted or /home is busy
# umount /home
/home not mounted

Here you've got my /etc/fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
1
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hdb1 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda5 /usr ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda7 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat user,auto 0 0

Currently I am using kernel 2.6.15 from Ubuntu repositories. All
filesystems work perfectly. Have you got any ideas what might be going
on?

Kind regards,
Jano

Mail jano at stepien.com.pl