Re: Sparc64 kernel message: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#3!

From: David Miller
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 16:54:23 EST

From: andrew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:41:24 +0000

> > [0000000000525990] prom_putchar+0x2c/0x34
>
> I wonder; could this be a timeout during boot because the prom console
> is hardware limited to 9600baud and its buffer is full ??

PROM console is just slower than anything else for whatever
reason.

Even though PROM console drives the same output, using the
native CONFIG_SERIAL_SUNHV is much faster and does not generate
the timeouts.

That's why I told the original poster to simply disable
CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE, it should never be used.