Re: Userspace process may be able to DoS kernel

From: Joerg Platte
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 07:52:29 EST

Am Donnerstag, 12. Oktober 2006 13:30 schrieb Pekka Enberg:
Hi,

> On 10/12/06, Joerg Platte <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Using 2.6.18 does not solve the problem. I can see exactly the same
> > behavior with a vanilla and not tainted 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> Do you see this with 2.6.16 also or is it new to 2.6.17?

Hmmm, I deleted all my 2.6.16 kernels and I can't test a newly compiled 2.6.16
kernel before the weekend. But if I remember correctly, on previous kernel
versions skype just generates 100% system load when using the sound device
after some time (especially after a resume) and stuttered audio but no system
lockups. Hence, it worked much better than now from the kernel point of view
but was not usable from the skype users point of view. It was a userspace
only problem.

regards,
Jörg