Re: [RFC] PATCH to fix rescan_partitions to return errors properly

From: Erik Mouw
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 09:09:54 EST

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 06:00:36PM -0700, Suzuki Kp wrote:
> Currently the rescan_partition returns 0 (success), even if it is unable
> to rescan the partition information ( may be due to disks offline, I/O
> error reading the table or unknown partition ). This would make ioctl()
> calls succeed for BLKRRPART requests even if partitions were not scanned
> properly, which is not a good thing to do.
>
> Attached here is patch to fix the issue. The patch makes
> rescan_partition to return -EINVAL for unknown partitions and -EIO for
> disk I/O errors ( or when disks are offline ).

I don't think it's a good idea to return an error when there's an
unknown partition table. How do you differentiate between a device that
isn't partitioned at all and a device with an unknown partition table?
Better return 0 on an unknown partition table.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --